Sunday, January 15, 2023

ChatGPT Test

There has been a lot of discussion of how Artificial Intelligence systems, like ChatGPT, will change the world. After prompting from several people, I decided to try ChatGPT.

What I wanted to test was whether an AI system, like ChapGPT, could be a useful tool in my writing and movie making. I’m looking at ChatGPT as something that might help me write. I am not looking at it as something that would create stories I want to read.

I’ve been doing a series of writing exercises based on a random title prompt. My plan was to give ChatGPT one of the prompts I had used recently. I chose “The Old House and the Desperate Baroness.” I’d posted a new recording of it last week: https://soundcloud.com/dynamiclethargy/the-old-house-and-the-desperate-baroness-1

I gave ChatGPT the prompt:

Write a 500-word story with the title "The Old House and the Desperate Baroness.”

It took about a minute to produce the short story, which ended up being 561 words long. I turned it into a recording using a computer-generated voice. I thought that would appropriate. "The Old House and the Desperate Baroness” by ChatGPT

I was impressed that the story was coherent and an easy read. It wasn’t the kind of story that I would have written. I like my story better. My story had a bit of a sad end for the baroness, while ChatGPT gave her a happy ending. I wanted a story with some dialogue, but this story had none.

I decided to ask ChatGPT to write a script, so I gave it the prompt:

Write a 5-page film script with the title "The Old House and the Desperate Baroness.”

It refused. This was its response:

I'm sorry, I am not able to write a 5-page film script at this time. My capabilities are better suited for providing concise and accurate information or answering questions. If you need assistance in creating a script, I recommend consulting a professional screenwriter or utilizing script-writing software.

I think there is more to learn about how to use ChatGPT. I suspect that the creativity in the stories it writes must come from the prompt you give it.

I would like to try giving it an outline for a story. I have several projects where I am stuck at the outline stage and need to do some more research before I can write the stories. I wonder if ChatGPT can do that for me. I would expect that all I would get would be a first draft that I would need to rewrite.

More generally, I think that the limitation of artificial intelligence systems is that unlike people, they don’t want anything. They can only react to a prompt or command.

I talked about Artificial Intelligence in some previous blog posts.

·         http://dynamiclethargyfilms.ca/joi-and-virtual-john/

·         https://dynamiclethargyfilms.ca/setting-priorities-for-2020/



This post is a mirror from my main blog http://www.dynamiclethargyfilms.ca/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment