Sunday, January 29, 2023

I got a little more productive in my writing this week. I completed a writing exercise, experimented with ChatGPT, and started a new short script.


 Writing Exercise

At the script writers’ group this week we did a writing exercise based on the title “The Wisdom of the Annoyed Accountant.” I recorded it and posted it on SoundCloud and my website. It struck me that the advice the accountant gives is rather problematic.

 https://soundcloud.com/dynamiclethargy/the-wisdom-of-the-annoyed-accountant

https://dynamiclethargyfilms.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/The_Wisdom_of_the_Annoyed_Accountant.mp3

ChatGPT Test

At the script writers’ group, we talked about ChatGPT and if it could help us write. We decided to test it by giving it the same title we used for our writing exercise. We ran the test several times using the same prompt. Each test gave a different story. It always tried to have a happy ending. On one test we explicitly asked it to make it a crime story, but it still managed to have a positive ending. The stories seemed bland to me.

I’m sure that you can get better results through improved prompts. Although I wonder if there is some point where you end up spending more time getting GPT to do the work than it takes to just do it yourself.

Random Title Improvements

Last week I created another variant of my random title generator which has two characters in the title. The feedback I had on it was that too many of the titles don’t make sense. That can be a problem with the other variants as well. I think that I may need to review the word lists and cull them a bit.

Old Filmmakers Short Script Challenge

I joined a Shut up and write group this week. I worked on a story for the Old Filmmakers short script challenge. The goal of the challenger is to create a script that runs 3 to 5 minutes and has only two characters and one location. The goal is to have a script that is easy to make into a short film.

I did an outline for one idea, but I felt it didn’t really work. People have been telling to write something about my late wife. I’ve found that difficult to do but decided to try again.

The story is a fictionalized version of a conversation I had with her about what she wanted done after she died. It was quite emotional, both at the time and when I wrote it. I felt that it was a good topic for a story because end of life planning is something that many people struggle with.

I didn’t finish it before time ran out. I think I have a good start on it but haven’t gone back to it yet. While I felt it was important for me to write it, I wonder if it is something I really want to share with other people.



This post is a mirror from my main blog http://www.dynamiclethargyfilms.ca/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment