Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Progress Report on “The Crying Woman”: I Want Some Advice


I started to write The Crying Woman this week and I got about 900 words done. I first got the idea more than a year and a half ago and I spent quite a while in thought about the first part of the story, so it went quite easily.

The next part proved harder. The woman wants to tell the man about a problem she has, but she isn’t quite ready. I want to have her talk about the problem indirectly, as if it isn’t really her problem. I felt the best way to do that was to have her talk about a book. I thought it would be a good idea if the man had not read the book, but had seen the movie.

The problem is: I couldn’t think of a book/movie that would be appropriate. The woman wants to express the sense of betrayal she feels. The first movies I thought of, Double Indemnity and The Maltese Falcon, don’t really fit. Especially since the stories have a woman who betrays a man. I need one where the man betrays a woman. I’m sure there must be some thing out there that would work.

If anyone has any suggestions please pass them along to me.

One possibility is to create a fictional book. I did that for The Doorman’s Sacrifice. An advantage of this approach is that the book can fit the needs the story exactly. It would also avoid any copyright issues. I’d need to come up with at least an outline for the book and note differences between the movie and the book.


Another problem I have is with the woman crying. As the Four Seasons said, Big Girls Don’t Cry.


This post is a mirror from my main blog http://www.dynamiclethargyfilms.ca/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment