Sunday, March 26, 2023

Old Person Issues Script Progress

I’ve been working away on a new “old person issues” script. It has been a slow process.

I’ve been doing most of the work in the Shut Up and Write Group I joined. I’ve been working on it off and on for a month. It is about a meeting between a man whose wife has died and a paralegal to go over what he needs to do with the will. It draws on my personal experience, but I felt I had enough distance from it to be able to write it.

In my first session I got most of the first draft done. Then in the second session I got the first draft done and then started to rewrite it. I found it difficult. I felt it needed something more, but I couldn’t think of anything. So, I just cleaned up the dialogue a bit.

In my third session I expanded the dialogue. Afterwards I felt that most of it was a mistake. What added was more typical of what they would talk about, but it doesn’t add to what I really want to talk about. In that sense it takes away more than it adds.

In my fourth session, I cut out some of the dialogue from the previous session that felt wasn’t adding to the story. I think it came out better in the end. I want to have another go at it before I ask for feedback.



This post is a mirror from my main blog http://www.dynamiclethargyfilms.ca/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment